Position Title : Chief Administrator/Medical Superintendent (1 Post)
Reports to : Chief Officer of Health
Job Category : Group Q
Duties and responsibilities
- To ensure Health Policy translation, implementation and co-ordination, monitoring and evaluation.
- To direct the development and implementation of short – and long range objectives, policies, budgets and operating plans for the hospital which are aligned to the national objectives.
- To represent the hospital to the government, public and other stakeholders and serves as secretary to the Health Management Committee.
- Co-ordinate and monitor the provision of specialized referral services.
- Ensure good corporate governance in the hospital.
- Ensure protection, development and maintenance of hospital facilities.
- Use of information, communication and technology to enhance service delivery.
- Provide guidance in the development and implementation of a strategic plan which is linked to Vision 2030 and health sector goals.
- Provide guidance in the development of Annual work plans.
- Provide guidance in the development of developmental and individual staff work plans based on the hospital strategic plan
- Ensure effective Human Resource management and development.
- Provide direction, guidance and counsel in ensuring achievement of performance contracts targets.
- Ensure quarterly performance appraisals by all staff are conducted and documented.
- Ensure effective financial management in accordance with government financial and accounting procedures.
- Enhance sustainability of hospital operations through partnerships and collaborations with development partners and health/ learning institutions.
- Ensure safety and security within the hospital premises in accordance with the Public Health Occupational Safety and other guidelines.
- Ensure that employees are made aware of potential hazards in the work place and how to deal with them in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure that a proper fire safety and disaster plan is in place.
- Ensure customer satisfaction surveys are conducted annually and findings/ recommendations implemented.
- Ensure implementation of affirmative action on gender, ethnicity and disability as per government policy.
- Promote adherence to national health management quality assurance policies and guidelines.
Required Academic and Professional Qualifications
- MBChB, MD, BDS or its equivalent from a recognized university
- A relevant postgraduate qualification e.g. MPH, MSc (Health Policy and Management), MA (Hospital Management), Msc (Health Services Planning and Management), MBA or Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate in Management.
- Evidence of leadership and continuing professional development and training in Health Management.
- Deep knowledge in planning, coordinating, controlling and directing public hospital health service provision.
- Sufficient knowledge of clinical practices procedures and standards.
- Knowledge and experience of quality assurance in health systems delivery.
- Knowledge and experience in coordinating and implementing research and development programs.
- Drive, enthusiasm and vision needed to lead change in the hospital.
- Tenacity, integrity and positive motivational approach to people management and development.
- Ability to create partnerships that foster teamwork and networking both within the hospital, government and across the health sector.
- Ability to work, lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strategic planning and implementation skills.
- Registered/ Certified by Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
- Experience of driving and implementing organizational change in particular using new and innovating practices and technologies to improve services.
- PC and PC applications and other general office equipment.
- Meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.