Position Title : Deputy Director, Board Management Services & Legal (1 Post)
Reports to : Secretary/Chief Executive Officer
Supervises : Assistant Directors under him/her
Job Category : Group Q
The overall responsibility of the Deputy Director, Board Management Services & Legal is to facilitate Board’s Affairs & Legal business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible to the Secretary/CEO for Board Management
- In-charge of Board Management Section.
- Timely preparation, production and circulation of Agenda,
Notes and Minutes.
- Coordination of agenda/reports of the Committees and various departments for Board meeting.
- Briefing the Secretary on agenda items.
- Oversee presentation of agenda items in the Board meetings.
- Preparation and vetting of decision letters for communication of Board’s decisions
- Initial action on matters
- Follow-up on cases referred to Committees
- Drafting and verification of decision letters
- Preparation and publication of annual, quarterly and other periodic and other adhoc reports.
- Development of annual work plans, performance targets, budget and procurement plan.
- Coordination of annual work plans, staff performance targets and appraisal reports.
- Quarterly reports on implementation of the strategic plan and performance contract targets.
- Management and development of the staff.
- Financial management for recurrent budget.
- Records management.
- Provide legal advice to the County Public service Board
- Advise and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for legal matters in collaboration with external lawyers on disputed issues
- Litigation and legal advice on matters arising
- Take custody of and ensure safe keeping of CPSB contracts
- Interpret legal opinions and offer guidance on legal requirements
- Review contracts and leases drawn by third parties
- Any other duties assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or Law is desirable
- Master’s Degree or CPS III will be an added advantage
- Professional Certification in Leadership and Management
- At least 5 years’ experience in managerial or leadership position
- Knowledge of the labor laws and other related legislation
- Membership of a professional body
- Strong and proven IT skills
Required Skills and Competencies
- Planning and organization skills
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Good communication skills – written, oral and editorial
- Ability to think strategically
- Analytical, critical and strategic thinking
- Creative and innovative skills
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal, relationship building and collaborative skills
- Strong sense of initiative, responsibility and sound judgement
- Resource management skills
- Team, leadership, motivation and guidance skills
- Time management
The Director is ultimately responsible for management and supervision of all Board Management Services staff.
Internal: Interacts constantly with the Board’s Secretary/CEO and Assistant Directors in the Secretary/CEO’s office.
External: Interacts constantly with County Departments/Head of Human Resource and other stakeholders on regular basis.