Reports to : Secretary/Board
Job Category : Group P
Reporting administratively to the Secretary and functionally to the Board, the Internal Auditor will be charged with the following:-
Duties and responsibilities
- Planning, organizing, directing, coordinating and controlling of internal audit services within the County Public Service Board.
- Establishing the risk based audit plans consistent with the Board’s objectives.
- Communicating plans of engagement and resource requirements for the internal audit function.
- Playing a key role in maintaining a strong control environment and supporting initiatives that improve performance.
- Perform financial, operational and information systems audit.
- Attending meetings with auditees to develop an understanding of business processes;
- Travelling to different sites to meet relevant staff and obtain documents and information;
- Researching and assessing how well risk management processes are working and recording the results using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Providing ad hoc advice and guidance to managers and staff at all levels, sometimes by delivering courses and training sessions;
- Performing risk assessments on key business activities and using this information to guide what to cover in audits;
- Anticipating emerging issues through research and interviews and deciding how best to deal with them;
- Providing support and guidance to management on how to handle new opportunities;
- Agreeing recommendations with relevant staff members to make improvements to operations and helping to secure backing for them in meetings;
- Preparing reports to highlight issues and problems and distributing the reports to the relevant people;
- Assessing how well the business is complying to rules and regulations and informing management whether any issues need addressing;
- Managing a variety of stakeholders and their expectations through regular communications.
- Undertaking capacity building for staff
Requirements for appointment
- Be a Kenyan citizen.
- At least a bachelor’s degree (Accounting or Finance option).
- Possess CPA (K) or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Be a registered member of ICPAK or Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Have at least five (5) years practical working experience in Audit in a public organization or a well-established commercial organization in a senior position.
Satisfy the requirements of chapter six of the Kenyan constitution.